Saturday 22 April 2017

Where does the time go?

 I keep forgetting to add the Apple (Malus pumila) in flower which I have now seen a couple of times by the main path on the fell above Wanister.

On Thursday I had a very early, though briefer than I planned walk,  around a bit of the fell and one of the first birds I heard was a Cuckoo. I watched it fly off continuing to call being mobbed by a couple of Meadow Pipits. Not long after I heard and watched anoth summer visitor singing, a fine cock Common Whitethroat. I did not pick up anything else that was new and had to get back home as I had promised to help out at Rainton for the Durham Wildlife Trust Botany Group.

I'm glad I did really because even though not in the monad I found another summer visitor, a Garganey. I also got very distant views of a raptor over the back fields which I thought may have been a Marsh Harrier but was too far away to be certain and I was only going off 'jizz'.  However not long after,  Twitter announced via Mick Heron that he just seen a Marsh Harrier going though the very same area where I had seen that bird and he had photographed it. Well done Mick.  I didn't find it but I'm having that :-)

The temperature overnight only dropped to 9C so it was one of the best nights of the year so far for moths with 10 species, three of them being new.

Yesterday again I didn't have much time (where's it all going to?) but in the short walk picked up a few more including Green Tiger Beetle and finally a Spider on the outside of the patio door.
This morning four more moths so things are starting to liven up.

393. Malus pumila  (Apple)
394. Cuculus canorus (Common Cuckoo)
395. Sylvia communis (Common Whitethroat)
396. Lampropteryx suffumata (Water Carpet) 
397. Pheosia gnoma (Lesser Swallow Prominent)
399. Nola confusalis (Least Black Arches)
400. Cicindela campestris (Green Tiger Beetle)
401. Ajuga reptans (Bugle)
402. Anemone nemorosa (Wood Anemone)
403. Anthoxanthum odoratum (Sweet Vernal-grass)
404. Arabidopsis thaliana (Thale Cress)
405. Conopodium majus (Pignut)
406. Salix cinerea (Grey Willow)
407. Veronica chamaedrys (Germander Speedwell)
408. Prunus laurocerasus (Cherry Laurel)
409. Myrrhis odorata (Sweet Cicely)
410. Steatoda bipunctata (a Spider)
411. Anticlea derivata (Streamer)
412. Thera obeliscata (Grey Pine Carpet)
413. Thera britannica (Spruce Carpet)
414. Eupithecia dodoneata (Oak-tree Pug)

I've got quite a few pictues on the camera I must find time to upload them. Where does the time go?

No comments:

Post a Comment