Monday 13 March 2017

The few bits left summary

So what else I have seen, actually not a lot but mainly because I haven’t been looking, until now.
There are 5 mammals I have come across so far, the very common Grey Squirrel and Rabbit, Roe Deer (on many occasions), a particularly tame Wood-mouse that feeds under the garden bird table and some Human Beings which according to the rules you count.

A Wood Mouse spends most early mornings before dawn  feeding under the bird table in the garden and has done for years. Presumably not the same one, and on occassion two.


The Moth trap I haven’t had out until this month but I always do the Friday night trapping as part of the Garden Moth scheme. Four typical moths for very early spring recorded so far but I’m aiming for 350 over the year.

The only beetle so far I found was on the windowsill - Otiorhynchus sulcatus the dreaded Vine Weevil.
A couple of woodlice species and single Millipede, Ant, Hoverfly and Bumble Bee make up the rest. I will have seen others but just never recorded it properly so I’m going to have to spend some time this week looking under stones etc to get these numbers up. I know I have at least 4 species of Earthworm in the garden and the first flies have started to appear for example.

 Added my first mollusc this morning with a Strawberry Snail (Trichia striolata) on the house wall.
The Moth trap was out last night. Nothing new but the numbers are improving.

Oak Beauty (Biston strataria)  1
Early Grey (Xylocampa areola)  2
Common Quaker (Orthosia cerasi)  9
Hebrew Character (Orthosia gothica)  1

I went for a little walk this morning.
14 additional plants today on my little walk around the sqaure. Nothing unusual and nothing new in flower either but checked that the Yew was still in South Burn Wood (of course it was), plus Wild Privet (not your garden species), Wavy Bittercress, a couple of ferns, Bulbous Buttercup, Bog Pondweed and few other bits and pieces. None really worth a photograph 

3 Linnets including a couple of birds paired up and singing were on the Fell and 2 singing Chiffchaffs were in the South Burn Wood. So the bird list moves to 61 species. I saw in total 35 species during the walk including a Tawny Owl in the woods, 2 Willow Tit and a fly over Curlew. Lots of bird song but not everything has paired up,  as by Wanister Bog there was a little mixed Tit flock with Blue, Great, Coal and Long-tailed Tit and 3 Goldcrest. But with singing Chiffchaffs it feels that spring has just started.

 So the list is on 169 and about to start proper

No comments:

Post a Comment